Monday, October 21, 2013

Derek's organizational skills

With Alan starting his teaching career this fall I decided that I would do "school" with the boys. My cousin gave us the set of "Your Baby Can Read" so we started doing that as well as using our letter blocks to go over the sounds that different letters make, starting with easy ones like "S" and "M". Well, Derek just took it by the reins and really taught himself. He now knows each letter and the sounds they make. He only has trouble with "V". He keeps mixing it up with "Y", but with him not even being 2 yet, I figure he's doing pretty good. Along with him learning his letters and the sounds they make he has been getting into an organization phase. He love to organize everything by color. When he does things like this it becomes a humbling experience for me. God must really see something in me that I don't to trust me enough with this child. At 20 months he already makes me feel dumb. He is so far ahead of me in many aspects. If he is already learning his letters, their sounds, organizing by color, figuring out how things fit together (he will take things apart and put them back together), then what will he be like in 2, 5, 10 years from now? Hopefully he will be patient with me as he teaches me new things.




I came out of the kitchen and found this on the couch. Derek had no help from me in doing this. It may just be a random, one time only incident, but I like to think he knew what he was doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall 2019

As usual, the fall brings many changes as we begin a new school year. Derek and Keith started grade 2 and Charlie moved to the 3's class...