Since the boys are not 2 yet, we have been wanting to travel as much as possible. We have talked about going up to Canada to visit Alan's dad and the rest of the family, but it just hadn't worked out all the other times we had wanted to go. Well, Alan's brother and his family were going to be in Canada for a few weeks and wanted to meet up with us. We had never met him before so it was going to be a first is so many ways. I had never met Alan's dad or anyone else on that side of the family, we had never met Zaine, Uzma or Shareef, I had never been to Canada, and the boys had not left the country before.
We started by flying from Houston to Chicago. It was a bit of a hassle when we got to the George Bush airport. Alan went to talk to the ticket agent, only to find out that the plane from Houston to Chicago was going to be delayed. However, she could put us on a plane leaving in 30 minutes. Luckily, with our 4 carry-ons, two strollers and two boys we made that flight and were able to catch our connecting flight from Chicago to Thunder Bay. Some things that didn't make our connecting flight were both car seats and my carry-on that I had to gate check due to limited overhead room. So, the only person that had clothes for the first few days was Alan, because my carry-on that I gate checked had ALL of my clothes and ALL of the boys' clothes. Luckily we packed a few extra clothes for the boys in the diaper bags and Anita (Derek and Keith's Oma) had some clothes that I could wear. We got our bag and car seats about 36 hours after landing and everything worked out the rest of the time we were there. Our trip was from July 1- July 8 and was definitely needed. Thank you to all those who helped make it happen and for all the memories made.
I tried to take as many photos as I could, but sometimes I just forgot to bring my camera with me :( There are more photos floating around among family members, so once we get those pics I will be sure to post them. As for now, here are the pictures I have.
 |
| It was a 3 hour drive from the airport to Alan's dad's place. We took a short pit stop on the way. |
 |
| Keith, Opa and Shorty on a walk |
 |
| Derek making mommy a bouquet |
 |
| Keith and the bouquet |
 |
| Derek learning from Opa |
 |
| Derek and Opa |
 |
| First time the brothers have met. Alan and Zaine Van Patter |
 |
| Austin, Zaine and Uzma |
 |
| Derek loves the new cars toys Uncle Zaine and Auntie Uzma brought |
 |
| All the Van Patter boys |
 |
| Keith |
 |
| Daddy and Derek |
 |
| Keith and Oma. First time on a boat. (He's not crying, even though it looks like it. The sun was in his eyes) |
 |
| Mommy and Derek. First time on a boat. |
 |
| Alan's fish |
 |
| We saw a moose on the side of the road. My camera was packed away and by the time I got it the only picture I could get was of his behind. But at least I can say that I saw a moose! This was a just a baby moose and it was huge. I can only imagine how big they get as adults. |
 |
| Alan with his boys at Grandma Van Patter's |
 |
| The boys with their great-grandma Van Patter |
 |
| The two families with Grandma Van Patter |
 |
| This deer was in Grandma Van Patter's backyard |
 |
| Oma giving Shareef his birthday present |
 |
| Shareef and Opa |
 |
| Deer were just roaming the streets in Dryden |
 |
| The boys loved this train set |
Thanks for catching up the blog! Loved seeing all the photos. We miss you guys!! And the baby moose was HUGE!!!
ReplyDeleteJust saw this now!!! So happy we all got together!! I will send you my pics soon!
ReplyDelete