Monday, March 11, 2013

Christmas, Texas, First Birthday

I know it's been a while since I last wrote. So much has happened since then. One of the saddest things to happen was that I lost my camera along with many photos of the boys :(

Since September, Alan and I both graduated from BYUH

Right after graduation we had the boys' birthday party. We had found out in August/September that we would be moving to Texas right after we graduate and we wanted to have a birthday party for the boys before we left, even though their birthday isn't until January. We stayed with the whole monkey theme and it turned out pretty nice.

Alan's auntie Ivona made the cupcakes and the cake. 

A few weeks later we boarded the first plane to start our way to Texas. We left Honolulu at 9:30pm and made our way to Seattle for our 5 hour layover. The boys had flown before for Kiana's wedding and did quite well, so I assumed they would do well on this flight too. Boy, was I wrong. We couldn't sit next to each other because there is only one baby air mask per row. So Alan took Keith and was across the aisle and one row up from where Derek and I were sitting. Things seemed to be going well for Alan and Keith. The lady sitting next to them would hold Keith and help out Alan and Derek and I just passed out once we took off. About half way through the 5 hour flight I hear a lady gasp. I woke up to that and just thought to myself, "please don't let that be Keith." I open my eyes to find out that Keith had thrown up on the lady, Alan and the couple sitting behind them. Luckily we packed a few extra outfits for the boys and ourselves in our carry ons, so Alan took Keith to the bathroom to go get changed. They got cleaned up and started to walk up and down the aisle when all of sudden Keith throws up again! Not the best flight for Alan or Keith.

We get to Seattle around 5:00 am. We ate some breakfast then made ourselves comfortable for our 5 hour wait. The boys both fell asleep for the majority of our layover. For this leg of the flight (Seattle to Houston), we decided to trade babies, so I had Keith and Alan had Derek. Things were going quite well. I was positioned between two ladies, one not so friendly, and Alan had a older couple who just loved the boys and opted to be their Texas grandparents. Although things were going so well, Derek decided he wanted to give his dad a present on the flight and just exploded out of his diaper, all over his back as well as the airplane seat. Alan took Derek to the bathroom to take care of the mess when all of a sudden Derek pees all over the bathroom and in Alan's words, "it wasn't like a baby pee. It was like a man's pee that wouldn't end." Apparently Derek just kept on peeing and it got EVERYWHERE! All Alan could do was laugh after Derek's pants had gotten soaked when Alan tried to clean up the pee and realized Derek wasn't going to stop anytime soon. If it were me, you can see from this post that I would have just put him on the toilet. Needless to say, Alan was more than happy to get to Texas and finally to our new home.

About 3 weeks after being in Texas the boys turned one for real. We hadn't quite gotten to know very many people so we invited the Larsens, of course, as well as the Hubniks (Karie is my visiting teacher). We had cake and ice cream and boys opened some of their now favorite toys: Mega blocks from the Hubniks and toy cell phone, inch worm, bubble car and mini cars from the Larsens. Happy Birthday boys and welcome to Texas.




My cousins were able to come and meet us at the airport to say goodbye. We had become good friends with Tanya and Manny and miss them so much! We'll see each other soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall 2019

As usual, the fall brings many changes as we begin a new school year. Derek and Keith started grade 2 and Charlie moved to the 3's class...