Friday, June 1, 2012

Our bundles of joy


Keith Saunoa Van Patter
January 18, 2012
5 pounds 4 ounces
19 inches
12:21 pm
Derek Kupono Van Patter
January 18, 2012
7 pounds 2 ounces
21 inches

12:18 pm



After much patience, worry and anxiety they are finally here! Back tracking a bit... January 17 we had an appointment to see how things are and possibly set up to be induced. Things were well, I was dilated at 2cm and Dr. Chapman (the other OB/GYN) scheduled me to come back on January 19 at 5am to be induced. I was so excited. That night Alan and I stayed up until about 11:30pm watching movies. At about 1:00am I woke up to use the restroom and noticed some strange things. I thought it was nothing and tried to go back to bed, but I kept feeling like I had to go pee. Finally I wake up Alan and tell him that I think my water bag broke. It took him a little bit to wake up and realize what I was saying. We called the hospital and told me to come right in. We got to the hospital about 40 minutes later and right when I stood up out of the car Derek's water bag completely broke in the parking lot. I waddled into labor and delivery with Alan and they got me all set up. At this time my contractions were about 5 minutes apart and lasted about 45 seconds to 1 minute, but I had no idea I was having contractions. I had to put my hand on my stomach to even feel them. I was dilated at 2 cm and was getting impatient. At about 5:00am the contractions were getting closer and I could actually feel them now. They were about 2 minutes apart now and still lasting about 1 minute. At this time I ask for my epidural. Around 7:00am I had jumped from 2cm to 7cm and we stayed there until about 11:00am. The doctors and nurses came to check on me and suggested I move a bit in my bed to try to get me to 10 cm. Well, it didn't take long for that to happen. Here I am now around 11:45 am dilated at 10 cm and a baby boy wanting to get out of me. All we were waiting on now is the operating room (I delivered in the operating room in case they needed to perform an emergency c-section). I get wheeled in and about 4 pushes later Derek is born.
Keith was in a breech position the last couple weeks and stayed in that position. After Derek was born the doctors and nurses tried to rotate him, but his heart rate started to drop so Dr. Chapman pulled him out feet first. 4 minutes earlier I pregnant Lei and now in those 4 minutes I became Lei, a mother of twin boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall 2019

As usual, the fall brings many changes as we begin a new school year. Derek and Keith started grade 2 and Charlie moved to the 3's class...